2.25.2010

R I P - M C Q U E E N

I've been neglecting my blog once again, haha. I'm in fashion design school full time now, so I usually just blog on my tumblr since it's a little easier to do small posts quickly. I feel like I get sort of lazy during winter, the cold sucks most of the motivation out of me, haha. I'm planning on making some changes with the blog and doing more of a personal blog rather than just posting editorials and what not. 

I wanted to do a big post dedicated to Mcqueen when I heard the news, but I've been waiting till I have a little more time to write it. I don't really know where or how to start, plus I don’t even know what to say or think about this. I never really get upset when there are deaths like this (they’re all horrible and definitely sad, but I guess I just don’t feel that connected to most of them), but he was an absolute role model to me, someone I aspire to be like and completely look up to. I was so upset about it all, it might sound stupid but in a way I felt like part of my heart was broken. I'm still really sad about it, but I guess I've come to terms with it, but the first few days after his death I was a wreck. Every time I saw a photo of him or his designs, or really thought about him I couldn't help but tear up. He had such a brilliant mind, the kind of mind most people couldn’t even dream about having. I can’t imagine what his family and friends are feeling right now, and if I could I would send them all my love. Seeing these pictures just made me burst, it made it all so real. I know a lot of people will think I'm silly or ridiculous for feeling so strongly about him, especially since I didn't personally know him, but he meant a lot to me. I remember when I was younger watching his runway shows on the style network with my mom and just being amazed that someone thought of the things that he did. Each one of his collections left me breathless. 


The day of Lee's death, I was in class with my best friend and just that morning I was talking to my mom about how much I adored and loved him, and a few hours later she texted me telling me what happened. While I was in class I almost didn't believe it, thinking "oh, it has to be a hoax" but when I got home and saw all of the pictures I broke down. My boyfriend surprised me a few days later and brought a good friend of his to his house and bought me a small tattoo on my wrist of McQueen's logo. 


It's still in that gross, scabby stage, but I think it will heal quite nicely.
You will be missed and forever remembered <3

6 comments:

  1. I felt the same way. I actually named my new puppy Elton Alexander, in memory of him. Such a tragedy. I'm thinking about maybe getting a silhouette of one of my favorite runway looks of his tattooed someday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved his beautiful & imaginative work too... will miss it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. thank you, beautiful tribute.

    ReplyDelete